Friday, August 21, 2009

What should I do?

Amanda moved out of province almost five years ago to be closer to her family. Last week she came back for a visit and made the quick decision to move back here to NL. Apparently this will happen in less than a month. Im pretty used to the spur of the moment decisions of Amanda, but this one caught me off guard. I'll actually have a good friend in town, something I've been lacking for a couple of years.

The best part of all of it is that Amanda has asked me to make the drive with her. The plan would be for me to fly to Ontario Thursday night and then spend Friday through Sunday driving east. I was immediately excited but now Im doubtful. The whole thing would cost me about $500 and with everything else right now (moving/back to school/Christmas/not working) Im not sure if that would be a wise idea. I feel like I really need the break and getting away for three days with a good friend to just recharge might be what I need.

The other perk of taking her up on her offer is that I would get a night back home. I've been in NL for 8 years and only visited home once. Ontario is still my home and probably always will be but I think Im bound to NL. My grandfather is 88 and may not be around much longer so a visit with him would mean a lot to me, not to mention all of my child hood friends that I would like to see again. The last time I was home, the whole facebook craze hadn't quite caught on yet so I didn't have contact with so many people.

Sigh. I'd love to go and do this but Im really not sure. Part of me wants to just book the ticket and part of me is saying no. What do you think?

4 comments:

Astarte said...

I think it sounds like a wonderful idea. Is there any way you could ask your family to help you out as an Xmas present? Opportunities to be with friends and family like that are scarce, and once you start really working again, it's going to be a long time before you're able to take a vacation at all, never mind a long-distance one to see family.

Amanda said...

I'd say go! Its an opportunity to see family and help a friend move to your area. Have fun!!

Kristi said...

i also vote to go...i know the money issue sucks but i think, in the end, it would be totally worth it...i don't think you would ever regret making the trip but you might regret not making it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else to go...you really never know how much longer you will have your grandfather around so you should take the opportunity while you have it. I know money issues suck but when it comes down to it, it'll be money well spent.