Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Reverse lists

Im a list maker. Very much so. I feel more organized when I unload my brain onto paper and I seriously love the feeling of crossing things off a daily to-do list.


The issue I would always run into though is putting too many 'to-dos' on my list each day and then feeling like I've accomplished NOTHING because I only crossed off 25.


Im a little dramatic.

So recently I've discovered a new kind of list. Or rather, a backwards list.

Instead of starting my day with a long list of things I hope to accomplish, I instead write things down AS I accomplish them. When I finish scrubbing the kids' bathroom (...), I write it down. When I get home from picking up groceries, I write that down.

This method may seem a little pointless, but it satisfies my need to feel like Im accomplishing something without feeling like I wasted the day.

I still shoot for 32 items on my sheet by the end of the day, but if I don't reach that (and I rarely do) I can now look at a page full of things I DID accomplish and not feel guilty for those items I had hoped to.

Why 32?

I have exactly 8 hours from the time I get home after the morning school run to the time Jason walks through the door after work. If I allow 15 minutes per item, I should be able to accomplish 32 each day. I understand that grocery shopping is going to take many more minutes, but making all the beds will take less.

I also enjoy the feeling that comes with serving a hot dinner to my family each evening and for Jason to walk into the house during those final moments before I do. I can then relax and enjoy my family. My job is done. No folding laundry all evening or trying to organize my pantry.

Those are the things Ill leave for tomorrow.

Reverse lists work for me!

2 comments:

Mackenzie said...

Huh, I never thought of that before. I am going to try it! Thanks for sharing! I found you at WATF link up. Hope that you will stop by at say hi! -Mackenzie @ www.fridaynightdatenight.blogspot.com

suzyhomemaker said...

That is an interesting idea. I don't think I could do it though because I NEED to write things down that need to get done or I will for sure forget them. But every once in a while I do add to my to do list of things I already did and then I cross them off right away. Then I feel even more accomplished!